Friday, August 28, 2009

Happy 25th anniversary, MuchMusic. Your old audience remembers you fondly

So apparently MuchMusic doesn't play music anymore. And apparently it's 25 years old this month. I recall being 14 years old and watching this channel religiously to get a glimpse of Gavin Rossdale playing Glycerine. And of course once the video was over, it was OVER! It was either keep your finger firmly hovered over the record button on the VCR or just savour the alt-rock-grunge-ish hottness for the five minutes you got with it.

I was never handy with a VCR. I savoured, waiting for my favourite scenes in the video. The same went for Swallowed when it came out. There were a couple scenes where dude throws his hair around and my heart orgasmed. And then I moved on to Our Lady Peace for grade 12. Superman's Dead was my favourite and I haunted MuchMusic in wait of this video.

I'd always see what artist or group was being shown in Spotlight, which I don't even know is on the air anymore. And Fromage! Hot damn, I loved me some Ed The Sock and Fromage. When CHUM got sold off after Jim Waters died, Ed left and there hasn't been a Fromage since. And there hasn't been a New Year that's been quite as good since. Coincidence?

Flipping through my once beloved MuchMusic, I see Tila Tequila (I had to do a search to find out who this even was), Flavor of Love, Brooke Hogan Knows Best, and other reality type shows that don't have anything to do with music. Okay, I know Brooke Hogan is trying to become a singer, but let's get real. A good effort counts in horseshoes, but not the music industry.

I popped on to see what late night Much had to offer and there in the ungodly hours of the night was my teenage years for display. The Wedge, Videoflow... *sigh* Teenagers used to be interested in new music and artists and their stories and videos. Now they're not? Or they can just research them online and want TV to provide garbage? I suppose this is the hallmark of becoming an adult. The teenagers freak you out.

I think this is what Abe Simpson meant when he said, "I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what's it is strange and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...