Monday, November 8, 2010

Mexico awaits

I started travelling when I turned 21. Nothing too wild, but it was something I made a priority. Some people like to stay on top of the latest gadgets and electronics, others like to buy clothes or shoes, some like to have an active night life, and there are those that like to pour money into their home. I like to go places.

When I was 21 I left the country for the first time and spent four days in New York City. A few months later I went to Cuba. Then after my internship and graduation I planned a three-week backpacking trip to the UK. The next year I went through the Maritimes with a guy who was my boyfriend at the time. Later on we went to the Dominican Republic.

I started visiting my family in Vancouver every Easter. I've visited friends in California twice. I took a tour through Ireland in 2007. My family started asking me, "So where are you going this year?" I had plans to go to Italy, but life kept getting in the way. It's still on my to-do list, but it's more of a distant plan.

Actually, it'd be lovely to go to Italy on our honeymoon. But I don't think we'll be doing that. We're paying for our wedding, and then we'll be saving for a new home. This trip in many ways is the trip for us.

It's one of those getting-older priority-change deals. Travelling makes me happy and excited, yes. But my life isn't about where I'll go next. I've planted my roots. My life is about my day-to-day happiness: my relationship, my friends, my creative fulfillment, and my home. So I'm no longer investing much into seeing new places. That would get in the way of meeting my milestones and reaching my goals. I'm not a kid anymore. I guess I don't feel like one either because I'm not sad over this change.

Having said that, though, I'm going to enjoy this Mexico trip for all it's worth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...